Tuesday, January 19, 2016

From drought to storms: El Niño in Hollywood

After ending my post on California water issues showing up all over the TV with a note about El Niño being next, Sharon Swart at The Hollywood Reporter put out this pretty great article on that very topic. It is filled with some kind of crazy stories, like this one from actress Dyan Cannon on the 1982-83 El Niño landing in her Malibu yard:
"'I ran downstairs, and the ocean was coming into my living room. Then I saw firemen falling into the pool; they didn't know it was there because it's covered with water.' While her house was drying out in Malibu, Cannon rented a place in Coldwater Canyon, where 'torrential rains came and the roof caved in.' She now lives in an L.A.-area condo, in part due to her El Niño misfortunes."
Then, there are these #hollywoodproblems:
"With rapid mega-mansionization from Venice to Beverly Hills' Trousdale Estates and beyond, realtors and clients are curious to see if these new concrete palaces will survive El Niño."
"In 1992, Warner Bros. 'Lethal Weapon 3 shut down a car chase near LAX, with the delay adding $60,000 to a $37 million budget, and in 1998, park rangers had to scuttle production on CBS' Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman after Medea Creek overflowed at Paramount Ranch." 
And then, #hollywoodsolutions:
"The solution for producer Brad Krevoy: 'When I lived on La Costa beach during the last El Niño, I would just put up sand bags for protection and book a room at the Bel Air Hotel, where most of my neighbors ended up. It was like an inland Beach Club.'"
"When a rising creek washed out the road by her Topanga Canyon home during the 1992 El Niño storms, actress Wendie Malick 'had to slide down a fire road on my ass,' she recalls. 'I had a sheriff take me to a Starbucks so they could pick me up and take me to a taping of Seinfeld.'"
As always, I recommend reading the whole thing -- lots of fun little anecdotes on everything from the Tonight Show to Transparent. And, look out for umbrellas at the Grammys.

Related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment